The Nordic Development Fund (NDF) together with the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF) are pleased to host a seminar on Innovative Climate Financing Mechanisms in Helsinki, on November 4th and 5th, 2013.
This Seminar will be a platform to share experiences and lessons learned from initiatives undertaken by the NDF in partnership with the Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDB). These, include a variety of initiatives involving new approaches and financing mechanisms targeted for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises in climate change mitigation and adaptation.
The seminar is intended for decision makers and professionals in the area of development finance and climate change.
The following highlights will be featured:
- Latest trends on development cooperation mechanisms to address environment and climate change
- Climatescope: a comprehensive index that evaluates the potential of LAC countries to attract capital for low-carbon energy sources
- Challenges and opportunities of the GREENPYME Program, aimed at improving energy efficiency of Latin-American SMEs
- Lessons learned from publicly backed financial instruments for energy efficiency. How financial tolos can catalyze private investment?
- EcoMicro, a regional green microfinance program aimed at training MFIs in LAC to develop green finance products for MSMEs and low-income households.
- ProAdapt, a program created to assist more than 2,000 MSMEs in LAC to adapt to climate change and to get access to green business opportunities
- African Development Bank activities linked to climate finance resources and developing green growth, with particular emphasis on private sector development
- Innovative financing and policy mechanisms for promoting rural electrification and distribution generation Case Studies of Bolivia, Barbados, Guyana and Suriname
Moreover, the seminar will include workshops aimed to encourage participants from different regions to frame new ideas, potential collaborations and spur the birth of new financing schemes globally.
Photos of the event
Download the presentations:
Aid, Environment and Climate Change, Finn Tarp, UNU-WIDER
Climatescope: Assessing the environment for low-carbon investment, Gregory Watson, Multilateral Investment Fund
Encouraging energy efficiency improvement in SMEs, Steven Reed, Inter-American Investment Corporation
Publicly backed financial instruments for energy efficiency: lessons learned, Patrick Doyle, Inter-American Development Bank
Providing green finance for all: the role of MFIs
Avril Benchimol, Multilateral Investment Fund
José Manuel González, Te Creemos
Building climate resilience and related business opportunities in MSMEs in LAC
Steven Wilson, Multilateral Investment Fund
Daniele Cesano, Adapta Sertão
Simon Shomkegh, Greenwatch Initiative
Opportunities for scaling up in large projects – a market overview, Patrick Doyle, Inter-American Development Bank
Rural electrification and distributed generation, Christiaan Gischler, Inter-American Development Bank
Panel session: innovative models for green financing
Nicola Armacost, Arc Finance
Sebastian Groh, Microenergy International
Sourabh Sharma, Milaap
Willem Nolens, SolarNow
Alexander Fisher, GIZ
Innovative climate finance in Africa, Sébastien Delahaye, African Development Bank